Ok, now Trump is our president elect. Many of us were really surprised since the media kept telling us Clinton would be the one and I believed so too. What is next? From a list of Trump promises, here is what I remember:
- Build the wall ( Great Wall of America). That probably can be achievable .
- Appeal Obama Care. Difficult. That can be achieved partially by improving it.
- Have a term limit on congress. Probably not achievable at all. Establishment and status quo will be always there and opposed it at their best effort.
- Appoint at least one supreme court nominee, which will prevail. This is partially thanks to Harry Reid’s nuclear option which set a bad precedent (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_option). Now Harry Reid is old and gone and leaving the mess to other democrats to battle. He has been in Congress for more than 30 years.
- Rebuilding the country’s aging infrastructure. This should be achievable. Both democrats and republican are indeed interested in this.
- Negotiate NAFTA. That is partially achievable. Canada’s president already agreed to begin the talk. This is what I talked before in my previous post. We should help Mexico both politically and economically such that Mexico will grow better both politically and economically. Then illegal immigration will not be a problem at all. Drug abuse in this country will be less a problem too. All countries can still grow its economy and benefit from treaties at different levels, even still argue with each other.
- Prosecute Hillary Clinton. He would be really silly to do that.
We do not need fight each other like a hell of partisanship. Just look at how happily Clintons and Trumps used to be smiling together:
Actually there is a list by Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/01/22/here-are-76-of-donald-trumps-many-campaign-promises/#comments.
I actually love politicians flip-flop sometimes. As time goes, situation changes, their stand on issues should reflect those changes and evolve too. They need convert this point clearly as well. Double standard should not be equal to “flip-flop”, for sure.