Time: 6:00-8:00PM, April 19th, 2017. There were round 25 people. Both County executive Allan Kittleman and councilman Jon Weinstein showed up,. Three HCPD officers joined. David Lee, Director of Constituent Services and Community Partnerships chaired the meeting.
1: Foreign Born Individual Policy Update from HCPD
- Police chief Gary Gardner: policy review is still under draft, related to immigration issue. police run data through federal NCIC database when stopping somebody. For immigrant, only interested in ppl with criminal warrant. civil deportation is not executed by HCPD. gang members, MS-13, involves many criminal activities, will be reported to ICE.
- Gang members related to MS-13 used to hang out around long reach, salvage, Ellicott city. I was surprised to hear that since I thought MS-13 mainly stayed in Montgomery County.
- For victim witness service , HCPD works closely with FIRN.
- Foreign born individual policy. The policy will shared with the group probably by the end of the month.
- 25K will be allocated for this effort from county government the following year.
- hate-bias crime is not in the check box in the report card ,but reported by the victim.
- sometime policeman fills in the form at their discrepancy, for example, race.
- I discussed a case . A friend told me what happened last night to his African American coworker, who working in Ellicott City, but lived and stopped by the policeman in Silver Spring. Police searched him extensively, even called backup, but did not find anything. Those police even did not apologize to him and made him very frustrated and angry.
- Mr. Gardner told me that police usually give a reason to search your car, if not tell you before, they will tell you the reason for search after. If the person who are searched feel they are badly/unjustly treated, they should file a complain to the policy department.
2: Review county executive executive order 2017-01.
Three community dialogues are going on now: Columbia Association, Howard County library, OneHoward from County Government. check www.onehoward.org for details.
Listening to different opinions and have a conversation are the key.
Two training courses are offered now:
a) culture proficiency training three days may/2,5/3,5/4,(8:30-3:30, north laural community center)
b) then facilitator training offered by the county
Contact David Lee if you are interested in it.
3: Reviewed http://www.onehoward.org website
4: Discussed what is our committee’s result after one year?
- encourage community members to share your stories at the website
- register a dialogue and bring conversation together