I think this primer is helpful for understanding the basic structure of school board.
What is a school board’s most important responsibility?
The most important responsibility of school boards is to work with their communities to improve student achievement in their local public schools. School boards derive their power and authority from the state. In compliance with state and federal laws, school boards establish policies and regulations by which their local schools are governed.
Your school board is responsible for:
- employing the superintendent
- developing and adopting policies, curriculum, and the budget;
- overseeing facilities issues; and
- adopting collective bargaining agreements.
What makes a school board effective?
Effective School Boards:
- Commit to a vision of high expectations for student achievement.
- Have strong shared beliefs and values about students’ ability to learn and of the system and its ability to teach all children at high levels.
- Are accountability driven.
- Have a collaborative relationship with staff and the community.
- Are data-savvy.
- Align and sustain resources to meet district goals.
- Lead as a united team with the superintendent.
- Take part in team development and training.
I believe I can be an effective school board member. 🙂