Here comes the endorsement for Dr. Chao Wu for Howard County of Board of Education. I believe it is not a specific organization that can speak for you. It is you, our voters, by making a little bit of effort to understand the candidate’s background, experience, and vision for the school system, make an informed vote. Your vote is my endorsement. With this belief in my heart, I won the primary in June with 15600 votes.
I wish the non-partisan BOE election will be still no-partisan and our voters still strongly believe a practical and programmatic candidate like myself.
On the campaign trail for the Board of Education, many people from all sides have keep encouraging me because of my ideas, my experience and my vision for HCPSS.
- Here are my priorities:
- I will work with stakeholders to solve the $37 million (falling from $50 million) school budget deficit. I will make sure the BOE is not a rubber stamp.
- I will make sure HCPSS provide equitable learning opportunities for all students, motivate students to learn and to succeed through hard work. I will make sure HCPSS provides more vocation/trade programs for our students.
- I will listen to all sides and be open to new ideas for solutions.
- I have the experience as an effective board member of Columbia Association ($80 million yearly budget), working on the budget committee( once as a chair), the risk management committee and the audit committee. I also has the opportunities to engage with community members, village associations and other stakeholders. I write monthly to inform our residents about what is happening in our neighborhood. This experience prepares me with the necessary skills and education as a BOE board member.
- I have been involved with the school system for several years. I testified in front of BOE several times. I sat on the BOE Operating Budget Review Committee. I led discussion on the early school starting time. I go to many meetings, PTA, PTAC, SEC, CAC, CEC, etc. I read and write a lot on many school topics and keep myself informed. I am passionate about how to provide a quality education for our students.
- I have the experience as a first generation immigrant who was lifted up by the public education all the way along. This experience gives me the best understanding how a quality education can inspire students to learn and succeed.
- I have the experience staying in three different countries(China, Singapore and United States), three different systems(educational, religious, economical and political). These experiences give me the first hand understanding how a diverse community can live together harmoniously. I can bridge the gap and seek common ground for our school system.
I will be your voice and you are my strength.
A Vote for Wu is a Vote for you. Save the best for last.