This feasibility study is for an Annual Review of Long-Term Capital Planning and Attendance Area Adjustment Options. It will be discussed on 6/7/2018 Board meeting.
School Staff Recommendation:
Adjustments School Attendance Areas This report is not recommending initiation of an attendance area adjustment process in 2018-19 for the 2019-20 school year. The next boundary line adjustments are anticipated for 2023-24 with the opening of High School #13 and the addition of capacity to Hammond High School.
Each year, the Board of the HCPSS reviews the capital planning options and boundary adjustment considerations through a feasibility study. The report has four goals:
- Inform the long-term planning process.
- Facilitate discussion of decisions that may lay ahead.
- Provide strategic information to the school system.
- Prepare for scheduled school boundary adjustments.
It is on school website https://www.boarddocs.com/mabe/hcpssmd/Board.nsf/files/AZAM235910BC/$file/06%2007%202018%20Feasibility%20Study%20BR.pdf
- Local Capacity and State Rated Capacity as of June 20 are quite different school by school. For example, Dayton Oak’s state computed capacity is 901 while local computed capacity is 675. These two computations should be consolidated.
- The following figures show where the population grows
- For Elementary Schools, 2018 and 2023 projected utilization rates
Region 2018 2023 Columbia East Region 103.7% 96.6% Columbia West Region 90.9% 106.4% Northeastern Region 95.3% 103.9% Northern Region 106.7% 114.2% Southeastern Region 98.0% 100.0% Western Region 95.0% 102.4%
- For Middle schools, 2018 and 2023 projected utilization rates
Region 2018 2023 Columbia East Region 92.6% 93.9% Columbia West Region 92.7% 100.4% Northeastern Region 104.9% 110.5 Northern Region 106.7% 114.2% Southeastern Region 94.4% 101.8% Western Region 97.2% 98.3%
Ellicott Mills Middle School is 126.% capacity.
- For High Schools, 2018 and 2023 projected utilization rates
Region 2018 2023 Columbia East Region (Oakland Mills) 86.9% 98.5% Columbia West Region 94.8% 98.2% Northeastern Region 120.2% 144.7 Northern Region 106.3% 113.7% Southeastern Region 111.1% 111.6% Western Region 96.6% 103.0%
Centennial High (122.4%) and Howard High (134.4%) are most crowded in 2018.