There have been continuous investigations/discussions on the school start time over the years. The cost of implementing a new high school start time later varies a lot. Here is a summary for various proposals. The starting time proposals ( elementary, middle and high) are different from one to another.
The difficult part for this discussion is “what is the better school start time and what is the cost”. I will continue engage in this conversation and put our student’s health and growth in the center of the focus.
The following cost is the extra money we need spend on the current $40 million dollars school transportation budget.
In the 2014-02-20 report, the estimated cost is $20 million dollars (high schools start at 8:15).
In the 2015-06-11 report, the estimated cost is 13.8 million dollars.
In the 2015-10-22 report, four models were discussed.
- Model 2 costed extra 9.3 million dollars,
- Model 3 costed extra 12.6 million dollars,
- Model 4 costed extra 4 million dollars.
- Model 5 costed extra 12 million dollars.
In the 2016-11-17 report, four new models were discussed (all four models start elementary schools at 7:30-7:45. There were the four models where I established a parent group and testified on behalf of them ):
- Model 1 costed extra 1.7 million dollars.
- Model 2 costed extra 0.9 million dollars.
- Model 3 costed extra 5.3 million dollars.
- Model 4 costed extra 3 million dollars.
In the 2017-12-19 report, four models were discussed (All start after 8:00)
- Model 1 costed extra 6.3 million dollars.
- Model 2 costed extra 7.62 million dollars.
- Model 3 costed extra 9.3 million dollars.
- Model 4 costed extra 8.36 million dollars.
Here is the list of usual historical documents for your info.
February 7, 2017 Public Hearing
February 23, 2017 – Internal Audit – Costs of Later Start & Dismissal Times