The board received many emails about the school budget proposed by the County Executive. In those emails they talked about a 30 million dollar increase on the operating budget over last year. This is not true. The increase is 0.9% percent and the amount is 5.14 million dollars.
Here is Howard County Proposed. FY2020 budget: https://cc.howardcountymd.gov/Portals/0/FY2020%20Proposed%20Operating%20Budget-web.pdf
On page 22, we have the numbers:
It is a tough year for the school board and the county government. Since the county executive’s operating budget was out already, we need convince the county council to allocate extra money for the school system.
The school system needs to balance the budget. Here are some big numbers:
- There is a 37 million dollar deficit in the health fund which we need pay off. In 2020 we need spend extra 7 million dollars on the health care fund in order not to increase the deficit.
- There is an increase of around 800-1000 new students into HCPSS. For each student, the county spent around 11k ( total is around 15,476 per HCPSS student) and the total net increase on spending by the student enrollment increase is around 11.5 million dollars (10.3 M for staff increase and 1.2 million for transportation) .
- We have FY 2019 negotiated salary increase for teachers which is 6.7 million dollars. This has to be honored.
- We have another negotiated salary increase (@3%) for teachers which is 19 million dollars. For the same reason, we have other salary increase for non-teachers which is 3.1 million dollars.
- We have non-public placement for special education(new enrollment?), which is 3.8 million dollars.
- Other materials of instruction and operations of plant are around 2.5 million dollars.
I can assure you that increasing the class size will be the last choice for the board. Increasing class size by one will save 6.5 millions dollars.
The board will have another work session on May 8th, Wednesday 4:00-6:00PM.