Wednesday afternoon’s work session on the FY2020 school budget was tough. After the discussion, here are some highlights:
- After the discussion, increasing class size by 2 and surplusing teachers (123.7 cut: elementary technology teacher from 62.2 to 42; music teacher from 52 to 26; GT elementary from 79.5 to 42; GT middle from 60 to 20) and para-educators (104 cut: elementary paraeducator from 216 to 132; middle school math paraeducator cut 15, middle school reading paraeducator, cut 5), are on-hold with a 10 million dollars deficit. There are a small number hiring increase (para-educator) in several areas too because of cutting teachers.
- At the same time, we are increasing the health care deficit with another 7 million dollars to 44 million dollars next year. We are creating an operating budget deficit for FY2021 since we are using a 10 million fund balance to fund incurring operating cost.
- We are not able put extra fund on the student mental health and well-being, restorative and inclusive support. program innovation, deferred maintenance and balancing capacity and changing school start time.
- We are now waiting for the county council to give us extra 10 million dollars if they can.
- The school budget discussion will be difficult for this year and many years forward.
Here is document: 05 08 2019 Budget Work Session Document
The link is here:
Click to access 05%2008%202019%20Budget%20Work%20Session%20Documentss.pdf
One thought on “Cuts and Savings, HCPSS FY 2020 Budget Update”
Comments are closed.