It is my first school budget. The process is painful and the result is painful.
It was so painful that I have to see so many dedicated technology teachers, math support teachers, reading support teachers, math instruction support teachers, and paraeducators will lose their positions due to our vote. Fortunately they will not lose their job and income.
It is not your fault at all. When a math resource teacher called me and cried, I really don’t know what to say that point. We don’t have much choices.
increasing class size, cutting music teachers, cutting GT teachers , cutting technology teachers, cutting paraeducator, cutting math support teachers or reading support teachers or more. There is no good choice and we have to balance the budget.
I am looking forward to seeing how to make next year budget better. The reality is very tough. We will have a 37 millions dollar health care deficit and around 12 million dollar operating budget deficit starting at our next budget discussion.
We need revenue and find efficiency. We need clean our house first before any new initiatives.
- Managing our temporary worker system will bring some money.
- Charging daycare center running on school facility will bring some money. Right now, the rent is 1 dollar.
- Charging some school facility usage fee will bring some revenue
- We need increase school fundraising effort. (added after the post loaded here)
- We need examine every aspect of our operation.
- We need figure out how to increase our starting teacher salary to 50k to make our salary competitive . We need examine our health care benefit and reform it, and make it more sustainable as soon as possible. Our teachers and staff need our support.
- Running a school system is also like running a business. We need find efficiency. We need find result. We need innovate.
Furthermore, we need our county executive and county council’s continuous and strong support.
- We need increase our development impact fee to at least 8 dollars per square fee, which is still lower than neighboring counties. This will bring tens of million dollars to the county revenue and ease the school over-crowding a little bit. This will decrease our need to rely on debt to fund county capital budgets.
- If people consider increasing property tax and other tax, please make sure the development impact fee will be increased first
- also make sure the increased revenue will go into education. We should always be mindful increasing tax will create an extra financial burden to many families too.
The school system can only do so much with limited revenue. I will make sure our school system will not go back to the same faulty path as previous school administration.
We don’t have a rosy road ahead of us at all. Let’s all work together to fix the problem, bring our school back to the right track gradually and still be one of the best.
Our students are counting on us. Thanks.