Interested in becoming a bus driver?
If you need help, you can contact me directly at email@example.com.
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have a clean driving record
- Have a clean criminal background
- Be willing to work 180 days a year, and be off during the summer months (however, possible summer work is available)
View a list of current bus contractors and call their office for an application.
To be a certified school bus driver, you are required to:
- Possess a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) with a “P” and “S” (passenger and school bus) endorsement. The HCPSS provides the behind-the-wheel instruction to acquire this license and the necessary endorsements.
- Pass a physical and drug screening examination.
- Provide a driving record that shows two or less current points. The driver will be able to acquire this from the MVA.
- Submit to a criminal background check that results in no disqualifying convictions or outstanding criminal charges.
- Complete an 18-hour pre-service training program for certification in Howard County provided by the HCPSS Pupil Transportation Office.
- Wages and number of hours worked vary from contractor to contractor.
For questions regarding an application, please contact the Pupil Transportation Office at 410-313-6732 or view the current bus contractor list for direct phone numbers.