CA board will begin to discuss our neighborhood/community centers at 4/12/2018 night’s board work session. Due to the financial constraints, there is a possibility some community centers will be closed in the future.
Here are some materials from CA staff for the board to review. I am extracting some information here and attaching the backup material for your reference:
- CA owns 14 neighborhood centers which are maintained jointly with the village associations. The neighborhood centers day to day operations and rental programs are under the purview of the village associations. The neighborhood centers are primarily used as daycares and for church gatherings, and other village rentals.
- CA construction department staff conducted an evaluation of all 14 facilities to assess major building components, remaining useful life of building systems, and assign value to necessary capital repairs. In addition, ongoing operating income and expenses were analyzed for strategic consideration regarding long term building operations relative to CA’s other operating and capital initiatives.
Dorsey’s Search : 1
Harper’s Choice : 2
King’s Contrivance : 1
Long Reach : 3
Oakland Mills : 3
River Hill : 1
Wilde Lake : 3
Three villages, Hickory Ridge, Owen Brown, and Town Center have no neighborhood centers
CA will evaluate an offset to the village association for operating losses from closing neighborhood centers with additional CA grant allocations. Passive parks will replace the building footprint where buildings are removed
- FY20: Demolish Locust Park Neighborhood Center replace with passive park.
- Pending: (CA will coordinate with Village Associations)
•Repurpose Running Brook and Faulkner Ridge for ADA pool bathhouse improvements when current tenant vacates.
•Replace Stevens Forest and Jeffers Hill Neighborhood Centers with passive park when current tenants vacate.
•Take out of Service Talbott Springs, Longfellow and MacGills Common, when current tenants vacate
- On-going: Maintain Bryant Woods, Dorsey Hall, River Hill, Thunder Hill, Swansfield and Phelps Luck Neighborhood Centers