- home and hospital program
Student Representative Report: Centennial High School
- Promotion of Tammy Jones to principal, Lime Kiln Middle School
- Covid update: none of the metrics the health department has been regularly tracking to inform COVID‐related decisions are in the red or danger zone.
- Tents will come back to all elementary schools
- Field trips: overnight and school‐to‐school field trips may now resume. One factor that may still result in a denial of an overnight field trip is if it is to an area of the country that has been identified as a COVID “hot spot”.
- Student‐Athlete Vaccination and Testing: we are discontinuing the weekly testing requirement for student‐athletes who have not confirmed their vaccination status.
- End of Year activities: Schools are planning in‐person end‐of year activities this spring. This includes celebration and promotional opportunities. Additionally, proms and graduations will be occurring in‐person
- Howard County Education Association
Incentive Pay Discussion for NBC teachers at Low Performing Schools
- The board discussed $7,000 incentive pay for Nationally Board Certified (NBC) teachers at low performing schools, following Blueprint for Maryland legislation. The eight schools are: Cradlerock ES, Swansfield ES, Harper’s Choice MS, Lake Elkhorn MS, Oakland Mills MS, Wilde Lake MS, Oakland Mills HS, Homewood.
Portable Classroom Discussion
- The board discussed portables for Bollman Bridge ES, West Friendship ES, Folly Quarter MS, Mount View MS . In total there are 212 units, 255 class room spaces, 7650 seats in HCPSS. The motion failed. We will have discussions in the next board meeting.
- Approved: Policy 6080 Sustainability
- Approved: Policy 9400 Student Behavior Intervention
- Approved: Policy 1060 Bullying, Cyberbulling, Harassment, or Intimidation
- Approved: Policy 4070 Fund Balance
- Report: Policy 1050 Tobacco-Free Environment
- Report: Policy 9230 Alcohol, Other Drugs, Prescription Medication and Over the Counter Products